12826847

A fairly typical story I imagine. I've paid £400 upfront and

Customer Question

A fairly typical story I imagine. I've paid £400 upfront for materials and the odd job man I employed has gone off the radar. He's done work for me before over the last couple of years so I thought he could be trusted.
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I've been in touch with his partner via text and she tells me that they have parted. I do have an address, a phone number and email details. His phone rings out without voicemail. He's not responding to my emails. This has been a month now so I think I've given him enough time to respond. How can I try to recover the £400 please?
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Customer: Many thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jo C. I didn't realise that each time I key 'enter' that it moved to a new dialogue box!! Anyway, I did continue with the query giving full details so can you locate the message(s)?
I have also paid the fee via credit card and registered my email address -***@******.***
Sue Baigent
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

What i need to know is what is your question about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The call would cost an additional £38 on top of the £38 already paid. Is that right Jo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like advice on how to proceed in making a claim to recover the £400 I have paid the contractor.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You would need to contact customer services about the cost of a phone call as I am never involved in the billing of this site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to worry; I will continue via mail for now.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

Do you know his address? Don't give it to me but do you know it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if he is still there
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You can always sue him at the small claims court.

Actually his last known address is perfectly adequate from the point of view of service. The reality though is that you may well need an actual address because if he doesn't pay you will need to send bailiffs round which is pointless unless he actually lives there.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I would send him a letter before action though. It will protect you from costs.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If that fails then you could issue against him here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If you are concerned about whether he lives there then you can always use a tracing agent but I wouldn't advice it at this stage. It will only cost and it will achieve nothing immediately important.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is the process straightforward?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, fairly. It is a simple enough case so there will be no need for the cost of a solicitor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks again. If I need more advice this week, will it be included in the fee already paid or will I have to pay again? Or do I have to contact customer services for this information?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

After you have rated you can ask follow up questions that are related.

The question won't close from your side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Following up on this issue. I have posted a letter through his door and sent more voicemails and texts without a response. A member of my family called his mobile number and he hung up as soon as he realised who it was. I feel I have tried every means of resolving this but to no avail. I have a receipt for the money I gave him. Do I contact the police before I go further with the claim? I feel it is a criminal matter as well as a civil matter. Thank you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, just sue.

The police will not be interested as this is a civil matter.