Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Both my wife and I are deaf. so cannot phone, instead we use

Both my wife and I are deaf. so cannot phone, instead we use Text, we had roofers to re roof our house, they made a good job of it, but when it was finished the scaffolders left the scaffolding up for a long time, a month after the job was finished, scaffolding was blocking access to the out house, we couldn't get the mower out and grass was waist high, there was no way I could contact the scaffolders except through the roofers, they were ignoring my texts, I thought that they were using my house to store their scaffolding, I texted the roofers that if the scaffolding wasn't taken down in two weeks I would assume they had abandoned it and I would sell it, they were at my house early next morning taking it down, some days later we had heavy rain, then I found that they had damaged the guttering over our back door and water was pouring down like a waterfall, texts to the roofing company are being ignored again. what can I do?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How much will it cost to repair the damage? The scaffolding is a service - under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 there is an implied term that all services are provided with reasonable care and skill. Breach of this implied term is a breach of contract, meaning you can claim all losses that are a naturally occurring consequence of the breach. I would recommend you find out what it will cost to repair the damage - then write to them and say that if they do not repair it you will either:

(i) Sue them for the cost of repair the damage -

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

(ii) And/or report them to Trading Standards.

Ultimately they are responsible for the damage they have caused to your property.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards AJ