Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My problem is I have split up with my partner, I sold my

Hello, my problem is I have split up with my partner, I sold my house and gave him 50% of the proceeds from the house. we have a joint account, I want my name taken off the account, I dont want any of the money, just my name taken off and my ex partner will not sign his part of the paperwork that the bank insists we both have to complete. How do I get around this, is there anything I can do. He has even taken my bank card off me, so I have no access to even change my address details.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, this will depend on the terms and conditions of the bank - it is usual for joint accounts to only be closed upon signing by both holders. However, you should inform them that you have now separated from your partner and you wish to freeze the account and remove any overdraft limit to avoid the account becoming overdrawn which will put you at risk of debt.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.