How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34026
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a joint mortgage with my daughter,,,,, My daughter

Customer Question

I have a joint mortgage with my daughter,,,,, My daughter lived at the address for 8 years but vacated without my knowledge 18 months ago and i have since had 3 CCJ's without my knowledge against my name for utilities and council Tax. furthermore, the building society paid these debts (Circa £3000) and applied 3 new loans against the property for circa £13000. without my knowledge or consent.
My daughter will not speak to me or give me her current address.
I am finding it impossible to get information regarding debts she has accrued on the property because all the bills etc were in her name.
My question is:
1. How can I legally get her name off the mortgage/Deeds if she refuses to agree? Meanwhile she is accumulating more debt against the property with "Payday Loans" etc.
2. Can I legally reclaim any or all of her debts that i have had to pay on her behalf?
I am at my whits-end can you please advise what actions i can take?
Kind regards
Mr Matt carden
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What loans have been added?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello ClareThank you for your quick response:
1.Property Value Circa £75000
2. Current mortgage £93634
3. Loans added:
a) £1538
b) £1720
c) £3120The mortgage stood at £87252 before the 3 loans were added.
Unfortunately I cannot get verbal clarification from the mortgage provider to identify where the debt has come from. I believe it is for Ground rent/Service charges.Today I have written to NRAM under data protection asking for SAR because they are not being helpful.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Wo lives at the property now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Currently empty I do not know where my daughter lives she is being very difficult
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

What do you intend to do with it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rent it to cover the mortgage??? need the lenders permission.....
1.How can I legally get my daughter off the (they are sa deeds etc?
2, can i have the 3 CCJ overturned (they are satisfied) but are still on my credit history?
3. Can i pursue my daughter for the debts i have had to pay on her behalf, all be it they payments also protect me from further CCJ
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Are the CCJ's separate from the loans that were added to mortgage?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
to be as clear as possible:
1. The CCJ's were issued against me for the three amounts (unconfirmed what they were for just now)
2. The mortgage provider paid the outstanding debts and the CCJ's are now satisfied but still on my credit history
3. The additional loans added to the mortgage are the amounts paid to satisfy the CCJ's.
4. The mortgage provider did NOT get my permission to pay them on my I am confused as to why they satisfied them.
5. I have had to request a SAR from the provider to understand what is happening.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

It is almost certain that they were for Service Charges and Ground Rent.

The Mortgage Company are entitled to pay them and add them to the mortgage to prevent the lease being forfeit.

They cannot do this with any other debt.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that the Mortgage Company will agree to release your daughter from the mortgage at this stage - but there are no extra debts she can charge to the property without your agreement.

You can indeed sue her for her share of the Ground Rent and Service Charge.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you for the advice:Just for further clarity:
1, Can I have the CCJ's struck off?
2. I am awaiting utility bills that have not been paid for over 8 months,,,,,,,,a substantial amount. they are in my daughters name but i am worried if she doesn't pay them i will again face the CCJ threat or have to pay them and I am o joint mortgagee.can the utilities companies or "pay day loans" she has taken out chase me and ultimately hold me liable? because i am registered at the address on the mortgage?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

1. It may be possible to have the CCJ's set aside on the grounds that you were not aware that proceedings had been issued - it is certainly worth considering an application on that basis

2. You cannot be sued for debts which are in her name - you simply need to transfer the accounts into your name - the providers will have to chase her for the debt.

No loans taken out in her name or debts taken on by her can be laid at your door

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice