Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am currently seeking potential partners/ investors

I am currently seeking potential partners/ investors for my business, do I need to have some kind of non disclosure document in place prior to having conversations with potential prospects or is that only needed further down the line?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. You will need to have a non disclosure agreement when you start disclosing confidential information to them. In the initial talks will you be giving them any sensitive information about your business? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AJ, thanks for your reply. I will not be disclosing financial information but an overview of how my business operates. My main worry is selling the idea and then them trying to replicate the service/offering on their own. Thanks.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. I would say then that you would want to sign an NDA and a non compete clause - the non compete clause will only be able to last for about 6 months - as you cannot stop them from starting a competing idea indefinitely, you can only stop them from doing so on the back of your information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks, ***** ***** something I can create using an online template or is recommended to get drawn up by a local solicitor?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. If you get it drawn up by a local solicitor it is likely to cost about £500 plus vat. You could use a template but to ensure it is enforceable you must have a really detailed explanation of the information you want to keep confidential. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, great, thank you for your advice, much appreciated.