12826847

I have been receiving threats from family members to put on

Customer Question

I have been receiving threats from family members to put on social media my court case - i was given a suspended sentence for sexua offence which took place when i was aged 12-14. He is stating i cannot take a slander case as this is factual information. However he is doing this due to the fact my mother doesnt want his wife or children at her funeral so they are taking it out on me. I am now 40years old and work within community
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Canni take this forward as defamation of carachter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for typos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im having threats to disclose on facebook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I be protected at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

if he is telling the truth then that is not a defamation. To that extent he is right. There is no defamation if the assertion is a truthful one.

The fact that he is telling people things you would rather they did not know does not turn it into a defamation I'm afraid.

If he is contacting you directly then there might be an arguments that it amounts to harassment maybe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it not make a difference that i was 12 yrs old at the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i protect my children?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No. If the statement is truthful then it is not defamation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the response is not all truth then where do i stand? If they try to make me look like i was an adult etc
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It depends really.

A statement is not wholly truthful can be defamatory but it depends how distorted it it.

Defamation isn't accessible to most people anyway as it costs over £10k for a contested hearing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no worries i will keep messages as proof of harassment
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks - and what is classed as harassment?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Again, it depends.

But if he is making contact with you and you are not responding then probably that would get over the hurdle without issue.