29905560

If i have orderd a door to be fitted on a specific date and

Customer Question

if i have orderd a door to be fitted on a specific date and it is 2 months over due, can i cancel it?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Did you order the door in store or was it over the phone/online?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was trades man who installed our windows
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
verbally

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No money exchanged hands. It was a verbal agreement on the 15th April for fitting on the 7th May. He then said it would be another week...then another...this carried on until the 18th June he was supposed to install it but again but when I called him 45 mins after he should have been with us he said he did not come round because he did not have the door. I said I could not wait any longer as we had given him more than enough time. So I canceld it.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.

When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and

· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).

In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved.

In this case the tradesman had agreed a specific date with you for installation and they are way overdue. Unless he has a reasonable explanation for this, which it does not appear he does, you should be able to cancel it as it does not meet the required criteria under law. As no money has exchanged hands at least you do not have to pursue him for any deposit or money paid. He could still try to take you to court for breach of contract but that may not be easy to prove.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the position you would be in if he decided to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.