12826847

Purchased a car three weeks ago and found a cosmetic fault

Customer Question

Purchased a car three weeks ago and found a cosmetic fault on it the rubber seal at the top of windscreen missing so rain or water getting inside been back to garage several times complaining garage has said they will get a rubber to fit gap not happy with this due to speaking to the manufacturer which says you have to replace complete part cannot just replace rubber am I in my right to return car and be refunded if less then a month gone
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

To be wholly honest, is not quite that simple.

The new Consumer Rights Act gives a purchaser the right to reject within 28 days of sale if goods are not of a satisfactory quality.

What is of a satisfactory quality is an open question. A cosmetic fault might well not get over that hurdle. This is fairly new legislation so it is still open to interpretation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They are offering a repair here which is likely to be considered adequate given the nature of the fault.

It is not likely that courts will smile upon attempts to reject an entire car for a cosmetic fault I'm afraid.

If the repair is inadequate though then you would have a right to reject which would be revived.