F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I bought a car and purposes i registered it in my

Customer Question

i bought a car and for insurance purposes i registered it in my girlfriends name, she has since left and taken the car.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

What is the value of the car?

Do you know where she is living?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid £15,500 for the car, she lives with her mother, near me.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Assuming the car was not a gift to her, she cannot prove that it was a gift to her, then the fact that the V5 may be in her name is ***** ***** It is proof of who the registered keeper is not proof of who the owner is. That is clearly stated on the document.

However because the V5 is in her name, it is not theft because there is no dishonesty in her having first obtained the car and the police will not be interested.

You can write to her threatening her with court proceedings for a court order to deliver the car to you but he is likely to ignore it particularly if you have already asked for it.

He will take more notice of a letter coming from a solicitor particularly of the solicitor’s letter not only threatens the court application but an order for substantial court costs if she fails to deliver the car to you.

There is no point in entering into extensive correspondence. The solicitor should send one letter, giving your girlfriend a deadline and if she doesn’t let you have the car back, court proceedings against her for the order to make her give you the car back.

You are going to need some kind of proof you bought the car and not her.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.

FES.