How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34024
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

After a 3 day final hearing we still do not have a signed

Customer Question

After a 3 day final hearing we still do not have a signed consent order. The judge was written to to clarify a few points in March. One issue which my lawyer missed was the fact that my ex has not agreed to contribute towards maintenance of the family house ( he left in 2012) and it is now on the market with quite significant things which need fixing. He controls all papwerwork for it and has been very difficult wrt providing any of it. He off sets all maintenance against it saying he pays the mortgage.
Is there any legal advantage for him to pay the mortgage yet no maintenance child or otherwise?
Can I write myself to the judge to clarify this point? My lawyer says it should have been included before yet he missed it.
Also is there a statute of limitation or some time deadline for all of this? The hearing was last July.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What issues remain outstanding?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to no longer use my lawyer as he did not include maintenance of the family house in the consent order which is as yet un-signed. The house is on the market, but in current climate not selling. My ex is not paying me any of the maintenance he should but is paying the mortgage and a few bills which do not add up to the full amount. He is refusing to give me copies of the insurance etc.
We wrote to the judge in March and she ruled on a few things but the lawyer did not include the house.
I would like to remove my lawyer, and write back myself to the judge for clarification and put an end to this. It has cost me a fortune in legal fees and I do not want to use them any longer as I do not think they are any good.
Can I do that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I can, what is the process to do so?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also is it normal for the full cost of the maintenance of the family home to be left with the person living in it even if the other party gets 50% when sold?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

But what is the actual outstanding dispute about what was agreed/ordered at court

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the judge did not go into the detail in the 3 day final hearing.She left it for the solicitors to write a consent order afterwards. It has cost a fortune.
She said a figure for spousal and a figure for the house must be sold and split 50/50.
My ex is off-setting maintenance against the mortgage , and some bills and he pays the remainder of school fees after a family trust pay the main part.
He refuses to provide any paperwork for anything. We also have a holiday home which is in France which must be sold. He refuses to help do that although the french bank account is in his name etc. I have asked 18 times for the insurance as there has been a mudslide and the council are claiming damages for the road. It is in his name.He refuses to send the information and now the council are chasing me.
My lawyer has written back and forth to his, at vast cost, and we are getting nowhere.
My lawyer has not included in the draft consent order who pays for maintenance of the family home until sold. It will be split 50/50 when sold. The judge was written to back in March to sort out some of the detail as my ex has refused to sell some american shares and give me the money etc etc. My lawyer did not include the family house in his letter and now it has been ignored.
Obviously with Brexit the market for sale is bad, and all responsibility for the family home seems to be mine. Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Have you instructed your solicitor to apply for a further directions hearing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I have spent a fortune on legal fees. Can I not get rid of my lawyer and simply write to the judge myself for clarification?
This is AFTER a 3 day final hearing last July.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

You can certainly take over the case yourself and notify the court and the parties that in future they should deal with you.

Then you need to apply for a Directions Hearing - the Judge needs to deal with this directly and cannot do so by letter

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How much will that cost?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

The application fee is £95

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but after that do you have to have a barrister?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Only if you wish to do so

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions