How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69775
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My ex partner who had been living with me in rented property

Customer Question

My ex partner who had been living with me in rented property with the tenancy in my sole name is ***** ***** bail for domestic violence against me, I packed up most of his belongings the next day which I put in his car that his mother collected that night as he can not because the police have a restraining order on him preventing any contact , there were things still of his in the garage and other minor items that I have been continually harassed by his mother to return, I have responded to her letters professionally and listed the items I am in agreement to return and given her plenty of time to respond she has only just replied to this nearly 4 weeks later and obvious let the date of collection has expired, this man owes me money from Xmas and left me in debt through taking several loans on his promise to pay half, am I within my rights to sell these items to reimburse some of the money owed to me .
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Why didn't you return the other items to him?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I packed his car up the day after he was arrested, the things that were left were bigger items like bikes, at the time returning these were not my priority as was my health and well being after being traumatised, after his mother entered my home without invitation I called the police again and they advised her to stop harassing me and send a detailed list via post of what they believed was his, I responded to there hand written note with a typed letter agreeing to things I deemed his I asked them to sign date and send back cop , I didn't receive this only another hand written note listing things I'd said no to, I responded again with formal letter listing again my reasons and gave them a weeks notice of the date I advised for collection, I heard nothing for nearly 4 weeks until now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He owes me money from Xmas and towards credit card for living expenses not to mention loan and finance on goods taken out on his promise to pay half I have asked for this back and not been given answer, he owes my father money that was loaned to him to buy a car and he has stopped the payments to my dads account
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Whatever your claims are against him, you cannot lawfully hold a lien over his goods.

If he went to court you would have to give them back and be liable for costs.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

You can pursue any claim against him independently.

But his goods cannot be seized I'm afraid.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions