My ex partner who had been living with me in rented property

Customer Question

My ex partner who had been living with me in rented property with the tenancy in my sole name is ***** ***** bail for domestic violence against me, I packed up most of his belongings the next day which I put in his car that his mother collected that night as he can not because the police have a restraining order on him preventing any contact , there were things still of his in the garage and other minor items that I have been continually harassed by his mother to return, I have responded to her letters professionally and listed the items I am in agreement to return and given her plenty of time to respond she has only just replied to this nearly 4 weeks later and obvious let the date of collection has expired, this man owes me money from Xmas and left me in debt through taking several loans on his promise to pay half, am I within my rights to sell these items to reimburse some of the money owed to me .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Why didn't you return the other items to him?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I packed his car up the day after he was arrested, the things that were left were bigger items like bikes, at the time returning these were not my priority as was my health and well being after being traumatised, after his mother entered my home without invitation I called the police again and they advised her to stop harassing me and send a detailed list via post of what they believed was his, I responded to there hand written note with a typed letter agreeing to things I deemed his I asked them to sign date and send back cop , I didn't receive this only another hand written note listing things I'd said no to, I responded again with formal letter listing again my reasons and gave them a weeks notice of the date I advised for collection, I heard nothing for nearly 4 weeks until now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He owes me money from Xmas and towards credit card for living expenses not to mention loan and finance on goods taken out on his promise to pay half I have asked for this back and not been given answer, he owes my father money that was loaned to him to buy a car and he has stopped the payments to my dads account
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Whatever your claims are against him, you cannot lawfully hold a lien over his goods.

If he went to court you would have to give them back and be liable for costs.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

You can pursue any claim against him independently.

But his goods cannot be seized I'm afraid.