Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I live with my mother. If she has to go in a home do I have

I live with my mother. If she has to go in a home do I have any rights to stay in the house please. I am 57.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Just a few more details please:

-How long have you lived there?

-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

-What is the value of the property and outstanding mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 years. Property in mother's name. No mortgage. House worth £300, 00
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any disabilities?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In the current circumstances, her property will be considered as part of a means assessment if she were to go into a care home and as it there is over £23,250 capital she will have to pay full fees and if she cannot then she will need to consider selling the property.

However, if you reach 60 and you continue to occupy the property and she goes into a care home after this, then the home will not be considered as part of a means assessment.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.