75100385

It is my understanding that I'm allowed to record private

Hi there,
It is my understanding that I'm allowed to record private (not with a company or on behalf of a company) conversations and phone calls if they are for my private use only (to refer back to for example).
I have got a slightly difficult situation where another private individual whom I have to deal with is saying that they do not want me to record them full stop, and has mentioned their rights on private property.
Does this have any legal basis? If they are having a private conversation with me and they tell me they refuse to be recorded am I still legally permitted to record it regardless (but not share with a 3rd party)?
thank you in advance
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do they know you are recording before you do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,Yes the person knows I have been recording my interactions with them, and plan to do so going forwards. The person is saying that they refuse to be recorded.Pete
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok. If they refuse then you can't regardless. You need their permission. If you don't have permission then you can't record.

Otherwise you can record for private use. But you need permission.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess my option is to refuse to have the conversation with them if they don't agree to be recorded :)So is it ok that I have recorded in the past without explicit permission and without them knowing? Could there be any legal comeback from that, assuming that the conversations have not been shared with anyone and just used by me to refer back to what has been agreed?Pete
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

correct. But they can't even have the old ones if permission hasn't been granted.

Does that clarify Pete?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.