How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My former colleague used my old employer's name (she is

Resolved Question:

Hello, my former colleague used my old employer's name (she is still employed there), pretending that this is HR requirements and have accessed to my personal academic records from my university. I then discovered that it was nothing to do with HR procedure nor required by my old employer. There is no actual damage to my knowledge, but it is creepy and intrusion of my privacy that someone unauthorized (but pretended to be authorised) has accessed my personal academic records which are supposed to be confidential. What rights do I have against my former colleague and is there any way I can seek compensation against her? I don't want to damage my relationship with my old employer or my university.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

With regard to seeking compensation, you are entitled to be put back into position that you would have been had any damage not occurred. What loss have you suffered? This is what the court would ask.

You say that a former colleague accessed your personal academic records. If they did that without consent and the records are on a computer, then it is a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act. That is a police matter but the police are unlikely to prosecute unless there has been some kind of loss or if it’s some kind of high profile records. By all means report it to the police but don’t expect a prosecution to ensue.

You would be able to seek compensation from your former colleague, under the above act regardless of whether there is a criminal prosecution or not provided you can suffer some kind of damage or loss. It appears that you can’t, it has just been upsetting for you. Whilst that would be classed as a loss, it is unlikely to be worth much and certainly not worth taking to court.

What you also have to remember is that there is no legal aid for this and you will be faced with either paying your own solicitors costs or taking the matter to court yourself. It’s not a matter that you would find any solicitors would take on for you on a no win no fee basis.

I’m sorry, I wish I could give you a more favourable answer.
Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.


F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice