How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3692
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Having moved house recently I received a letter from England

Customer Question

Having moved house recently I received a letter from England Commercial Register. The heading looked much like a Companies House letter. As I run my own business and had just moved,I assumed it was a document that Companies House required me to fill in. So I filled in my address and email details and sent the form off(this was in April). May 17th I received an invoice for 993euros for my advert on the Commercial Register Web page.
The form that I filled in had a lot of small print,not having glasses to hand I didn't read the print. I've phoned Commercial Register and emailed them explaining my mistake,but they keep demanding payment. I've sent a copy of the original document to Companies House FRAUD department and spoken to Trading Standards. Even though I've told Commercial Register this,their email address is***@******.*** they're still demanding payment.
I'd be very grateful if you can advise on how to proceed with this as I believe this to be a scam. My phone number is ***** Thanks,***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I would recommend you write back to them as follows:

- Say this an obvious attempt to trade of the back of the reputation of the registrar if Companies in England to extort money from you;

- Say that you deny any liability - and at best this a sharp practice that is prohibited in England;

- Say it is a criminal offence in England to pursue someone for money they do not owe so as to cause harassment - S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970;

- Say if they do not stop chasing and provide you with a credit note by return, you reserve the right to report them to the police and sue them for your costs in defending the claim.

Unfortunately as a business owner you have signed something without reading the small print, if they sue you will have to take steps to defend the claim.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards AJ