Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

A company I dealt with some time ago will has now ceased

Customer Question

A company I dealt with some time ago for a will has now ceased trading how can I find out what has happened to my deeds that were held in safe custody.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Was this company a law firm? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as far as I know It was a consultancy co ***** ***** consultants I dealt with principal Mathew Davies. hope this is some help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex any ideas yet, I have to go to prepare evening meal now will leave computer open so I wil receive your response when I return. Hope you can help because I am very worried about this.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. My apologies for the delay - did this company hold other peoples wills as well or just yours? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex I am not sure but I would think that they do or did hold other peoples deeds. I am unable to talk about this on the phone as my husband does not yet know and he would not be able to cope with this as well as me being ill at the moment.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you . Do you know roughly when this company went out of business? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aex I looked up name on new fsa web site says 2015.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. Is it ***** ***** Consultants "Limited"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was not when I dealt with them but what I found the other night it became ltd 2013 and closed 2015. I cannot get that site back up at the moment. If it is of any use I believe there was an office in Worcester
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That helps - I am going to check the company register I will revert to you later today. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex I have found some more info on a folder I had at the beginning of my dealings. On the back it says ***** ***** consultancy 2008. ***** ***** Consultants Ltd. 1 Greenhill , Bath Road, Worcester WR5 2AT. From this it looks like it was ltd in 2009 when I had dealings with them.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. I have looked at Companies House and cannot find a record of this company - does it have a company number written on any correspondence? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex I have rated you today however I do not feel we have completed as I still dont know where my deeds are or how to get them back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no numbers
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. I appreciate your feedback - I am still here to assist you - I am just search all relevant public registers for information Kind regards AJ

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have found a ***** ***** Consultancy Limited- the director is called Mr Peter Andrewez - does that ring any bells? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex The name does not mean anything as there were no names on any correspondance only Mathew Davies who was called Principal on his business card his email was the company one. mobile phone *********** so it could be the right co . can you speak to them
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. ***** ***** Consultancy was dissolved last year, but the address doesn't quite match. What sort of services did they provide to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The did oour will and we talked about power of attorney I shall be able to give full details tomorrow when I am upstairs where we keep our documents Because of my illness I am only able to go upstairs once which I do when I go to bed. Thank you for what you are doing I hope that you will be able to find my deeds regards Margaret.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. The problem I have is I cannot find an exact to this company. However if they were providing some form of regulated service (which it sounds like they were) you have the following options:

- Contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority - the company stored wills it may be regulated in which case there may have been an intervention from the SRA and the documents could be held by another entity - https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/solicitor-closed-down/intervention.page

- If the company has been dissolved or gone into liquidation it is possible the Insolvency Service has taken control of its assets and documents https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/insolvency-service

- Finally it may be worth inquiring with the Financial Conduct Authority if the advice provided was financial in nature - again they may have intervened in matters.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex cannot get onto sra.gov page not available, but managed insolvency search and found Mathew Davies as an individual the age could be about right. I did not have his personal address could this be him, I do not understand what I am looking at on the extract. Will you be able to do anything else Margaret
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way it appears he may have done a power of attorney as paper work asked for us to return some forms sugned in order that they may be registered with the court. does this help