13262538

My husband died having had a will wrote out by a firm of

My husband died having had a will wrote out by a firm of will writers, he left me the house we always lived in,however the name on the house deeds are in his sole name,I have the house deeds in the safe,and there is NO mortgage on the property,
My question is how do I get the name changed on the deeds? and do I have to go through a Lawyer to do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I don't want to be a member is this just a one of payment of £29. 00 ? I will NOT be billed for any further payments?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Do you know if the property is registered with the land registry? If not you can check here and let me know if you can access the title deed: https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I checked with them and they have sent me an application form
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Are you planning to sell the property or keep it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be keeping the property it is my home and will not be sold
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. In that case to ensure that your name is ***** ***** deeds you will need to register the land, it appears that the property is unregistered, as a first registration using form FR1. Given the potential complexities with the first registration and to ensure that it is done correctly I would suggest that you seek a local conveyancer or residential property solicitor.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Just to add to the above.

If you have mot already done so you will need to arrange for the Executor (which may of course be you) to obtain Probate of the Will before you can take any action

If this has already been done the Executor will need to sign an AS1 transferring the property into your name before the FR1 can be filed with the Land Registry.

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.