12826847

I was arrested approximately one year ago on allegations of

Customer Question

I was arrested approximately one year ago on allegations of a serious sexual crime. I am yet to be charged and the police keeps bailing me and are not giving me any information as to what is taking place. I am not certain what my rights are which I think they are quite aware and they are giving me the run around and not answering my questions as to what is going on. I am seeking legal advice as to how I may attain legal representation and its cost to do so asap.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry if I am missing the point but surely you do have a legal aid solicitor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but as I stated but I'm not getting any help from him
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that is fairly normal I'm afraid. You are not charged so there is no disclosure from the Crown. Therefore his view will be that that is nothing to discuss and anyway he is not paid for doing it. In fairness, solicitors cannot be expected to work unless the Government pays them or they charge privately.

You can instruct another solicitor when charged.

Or you can pay privately.

On the whole though it is not a good idea to be agitating the police. Generally speaking, you do not want to make contact with them and remind them of the need to do work on your case.