29905560

Me and my mother where harassed and bullied by a supervisor

Customer Question

Me and my mother where harassed and bullied by a supervisor working for EasyJet Airlines at Gatwick airport. I complained to EasyJet head office but apparently nobody there cares. Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. What exactly happened?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi,My name is*****'m 26 years old, I had a holiday booked in Greece for my mother's birthday as she was traveling with me. At Gatewick airport and at the EasyJet disk the supervisor refused to allow us to go through because he said we didn't have the appropriate visas to go there. We missed our flight and we had to book 2 different tickets from another airlines and finally we got to greece but after spending a lot of money because of this employee ignorance
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Other than we got there at night instead of getting there in the morning. Plus the way he delt with me and my mother who is 62 years old
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear Ben are you there?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Did you have the correct visas?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On the 1st of March me, Marina Ibrahim 26 years old and my mother Banwal Andarwos 62 years old arrived at Easyjet check in desk at around 5:15 am at Gatwick south terminal to check in for our Paphos-Cyprus flight departing 7:10am flight number EZY5453. We arrived at Gatwick airport in a happy and excited spirit as this trip was a surprise birthday present for my mum.When arriving at the desk we were told that we needed a visa to travel to Cyprus which surprised me because I have done research and I knew that a visa was not required for this trip. I showed the lady on the desk a screenshot of information that I have obtained from 3 different websites (gov.uk, Cyprusvisa.eu and worldtravelguide.net) stated clearly that visa is not required for a British travel document for this destination, (See appendix 1) the lady then took my phone away to the back office to show it to her supervisor and then came back again to inform me that I still require a visa. At that point I asked to speak to the supervisor who was on the shift.When the gentleman approached the desk, without greeting me or my mother he slammed a piece of paper on the disk in front of me and said "Read". I wasn't happy with the attitude but stayed calm and read what he wanted me to read. It was completely irrelevant so I told him that it is irrelevant, he said, read it again. I told him that I read it and it is irrelevant so can you please check it? He checked it and in the same rude attitude he said she gave me the wrong piece of paper, he left and came back after about 2 minutes with another piece of paper and did the same thing, slammed it on the desk in front of me and said "Read". I read the highlighted paragraph he wanted me to read but again did not understand how what I read meant or was relevant to our situation. I asked if he can explain it to me as I honestly did not understand how is that related to us but he kept repeating one word, "Read". When he refused to explain it to me and I tried to explain to him what I had previously explained to the lady but he refused to look at the information I was providing and refused to listen to me or to my mother who was trying to get his attention.I have never came across anyone who was as rude, impolite, unprofessional and unhelpful like this person who I do not know and I do not want to know his name. (You have the date and exact time to track him)
That's part of the complaint I put formally to EasyJet head office
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After running around the whole airport and speaking to different airline desks they all confirmed that there was absolutely nothing wrong with our documents and we did not need a visa however the nearest flight was a Norwegian flight later on that afternoon which we bought tickets for and paid £641. Bare in mind that take off time was 12:50pm.

Ok thank you. What you experienced is unprofessional behaviour and poor customer service – it is not bullying and harassment from a legal point of view. So do not refer to it as that because it isn’t.

Poor customer service as in this case would really only be able to be pursued with the person’s employer, that being Easyjet. You need to pursue your complaint with them to full completion – they may have been delaying their responses but they should eventually provide their final decision.

If you disagree with that decision then your only rights are to take this to court. In perfect honesty, that won’t be very easy because there is no specific claim you can make against them. You can still consider taking the first steps in initiating the claim to send a warning message to them that you are considering court and they may decide to compensate you out of goodwill to avoid having to deal with a legal claim from you.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is your detailed advice for me in terms of the steps I need to follow to take this further?

Thank you. You would really only be looking at compensation for the losses suffered as a result of their incorrect actions. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice, very much appreciated.

You are welcome, all the best