How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live and own a ground floor flat which I moved into about

Customer Question

I live and own a ground floor flat which I moved into about 20 months ago. In February this year and new family moved into the rental property next door. My life has been hell since. The family have 2 autistic children and the noise and banging is appalling. I have tried to speak to the family and they know exactly what this is doing to me. I managed to get the name and address of the owners off Land Registry. They are not prepared to do anything and will not end the family's contract early as they are afraid of being accused of discrimination. She has said she won't renew their contract beyond Feb 2018. I have asked her to provide some noise insulation but she isn't prepared to spend any money. Her suggestion was that I should move. I have been in very poor health and this is bringing me to the verge of a breakdown. Is there nothing to be done and do I have no rights in this situation? Regards Corinn ********
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello Corinn my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Is it private landlord or Council?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Alex it is a private landlord
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Ok - you should report this to the Council. They can install noise monitoring equipment at your property and then see what the noise is and level.

If it breaches guidelines then they can give them a noise abatement order. But this helps you because its not you bringing the action, its the Council.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The council have said that this issue isn't covered by their excessive noise policy. They said to report it to the anti social behaviour team which is also not covered by their policy.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

You can take out a private complaint at the magistrates court. But you will need evidence.

Start keeping a diary of when it happens, but you can go to court for it.

Does that clairfy? Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions