Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

We sold a property in May 2015 and an agreed retention of

Customer Question

We sold a property in May 2015 and an agreed retention of £5,000.00 was held by our online conveyancer for a "reasonable length of time" (requested by the purchasers' solicitors.) It is now 14 months and we can't get the money back. We have done everything we can to get it back and the last email said they would send it no later than the 5th July but it's not been received and they ignore any of our emails. Where do we go from here.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I would write to the solicitor and say the following:

- They agreed to return the money on the 5th of July - this confirmed in writing;

- By promising something to a client and not delivering is potentially a breach of their conduct rules;

- Say if they do not return the money with 24 hours (by CHAPS transfer which they must now pay for), you will complain to the Legal Ombudsman and the Solicitors Regulation Authority

https://www.sra.org.uk

www.legalombudsman.org.uk/

When you right to them ask then name of the person within their practice that deals complaints (this should actually be detailed in any terms and conditions you have signed with them).

AJ