12826847

I have a dispute with BT, they have already admitted

Customer Question

I have a dispute with BT, they have already admitted liability and have offered settlement
There mistake has cost my business a great deal of money and what was a thriving business is now struggling due to their ineptness.
During the period of Feb to June 2016 the downturn of gross turnover is ~£171,000 compared to the same period last year,
Following a decision to vacate out leased premises we asked to transfer calls to my home number, they made the transfer but got 1 digit wrong
despite many many telephone calls and promises to correct the fault, transfering from 1 dept to another and keeping my secretary on hold for many hours,they were still not able toresolve this. 3 months later they just cut us off completely... whilst still sending us bills for a service we did not receive
As previously they have now admitted liability but have offered £600 as compensation
I have now had to completely change how we operate on very limited funds largely due to BT , operating all calls from my house
Please can you give your opinion on where i stand in this,
If we do not comply with BT's offer they are threatening to close the case and withdraw the offer
BR
Steve Monger
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you have a copy of the terms and conditions which you signed when the line was first installed? Also have your made a counteroffer and, if so, what was their response?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Alice,
we originally had an ISDN line to our old premises which was on a 5 year contract,
when we asked BT to transfer the line we Terminated the outstanding contract period.
Following our complaints
They originally offered just to cancel all outstanding bills they say we owe, when I stated that i would get legal advice and that the disruption to the business was excessive they up'd the offer to £600.00.I did not question the disruption initially till i got a mail from the owner of the number that BT had substituted saying she had received many calls and messages on her answering service saying my customers were not able to contact us, she and I contacted BT but as I said was unable to get a resolution. this went on for months with 3 - 4 calls a week, BT always could not resolve the problem there and then but would "call us back" within 48hrs this rarely happenedI think I have the original agreement but feel this has nothing to do with the current situationRegards
Steve
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 months ago.

I understand. What I'm trying to establish is on what basis they are denying your claim. Usually there is a clause in the agreement limiting liability for loss of profit / business. If you were to take legal action they could rely on that clause if it exists.

Expert:  Alice H replied 5 months ago.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Alice, they have already admitted liability to this event and have offered £600 compensation + this would be outside the contract as we had already terminated,
we have the number transfer bills and the agreement for the charges they would apply for the duration of the transfer,
they have said they would waiver those charges.The initial number transfer compensation does in no way compensate for loss of business or good will, loss of customer base ETC. ETC.