13262538

Our son has recently been fortunate enough to buy mself a

Our son has recently been fortunate enough to buy himself a house - outright. His girlfriend, of one year, has not provided any of the funds for said purchase. she will be living there with him. They are also allowing a friend of theirs to 'house share' with , taking the second bedroom to sleep in.
We consider it right that both the girlfriend & other friend will be paying our son rent, since he is (in effect) the landlord.
The girlfriend has had the utility bills put in her name; all 3 of them, however,will be contributing to the household expenditure, whatever they may be.
My questions are this:
1) By having the utility bills put in her name, does this give the girlfriend any right of ownership to the property? (should they be put in my son's name, as owner of the property?)
2) Will she have any 'common law partner' rights?
I hope you can help us out here!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

1) No. As long as she is not contributing towards the mortgage or improvements to the property then she will not gain ownership.

2) This does not exist.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My anme is Clare and just to add the the above

You need to tell your son to ensure that he does not allow his partner to pay towards any improvements to the property

If they have a baby then she may well be able to stay in the house if they separate.

If they get married she will have automatic rights

IF he dies after they have lived together for two years then she will have a claim on his estate

Whilst id gives the no rights it would be more appropriate for all bills to be in his name

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.