31090051

My father died with substantial credit card debts five and a

My father died with substantial credit card debts five and a half years ago. His estate still has not been sorted out. Can I refuse to pay his credit card debts once six years have passed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to pay any of his debts after 6 years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Provided the estate has not admitted liability for the debts and no court proceedings have been raised by the credit card companies, the debts will be time barre after six years. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What constitutes admitting liability? I wrote to each debt, informing them my father had died, enclosed the death certificate, told them I was the executor and asked what the balance of the debt was. Does the 6 years start from the date of the last telephone call/letter from either of us? Thank you
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it would be from the date of your contact with the creditor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the letter I wrote constitute admitting liability? Thank you
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

No, that would be an admission only if you accepted there was a debt. All you asked for was information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You have been really helpful