My wife had an alcohol addiction over a period of 20 years.

Hello, my wife had an alcohol addiction over a period of 20 years. 18 years ago she was advised by her then g.p. to cut down on her alcohol intake. She was unable to do so and went on to develop alcohol induced acute pancreatitis.
This is a very painful condition and a difficult pain to manage - so she was prescribed morphine, she was also warned that any more alcohol could prove fatal. Unfortunately she was unable to stop and continued drinking over the next 10 or so years. She was admitted to hospital a number of times during that period as a result of her being unable to stop drinking. The alcohol would cause chronic pain but she was able to easily obtain morphine from the doctor to control it - Even though he was fully aware of her continuing to drink. It became a vicious cycle and went on un-challenged by her g.p. over a long period. She could go to him and get a 500ml bottle of morphine at will - 10% of which is pure alcohol!
Not surprisingly she became addicted to the morphine. The g.p. was aware of her drinking and also aware of her morphine addiction yet continued to supply it whenever she asked for it.
Sadly my wife passed away in October last year as a result of going out drinking and taking morphine. I was dumbfounded to find out after the post-mortem that she had also taken ecstasy.
The ecstasy was completely out of character and something that she had never done before. She had been seen earlier in the evening 'swigging the morphine directly from the bottle' , I can only imagine that she wasn't thinking straight and the morphine/alcohol had obviously affected her judgement.
This was a woman who was about to be promoted to the board of directors at a large accountancy firm - she was a fellow with the Federation of Chartered Certified Accountants. She was no fool, she also left behind a 7yr old boy who she doted on.
I knew my wife was being prescribed morphine but I didn't realise the quantities it was being prescribed in until after her death. At the time of her death she had a three quarter full 500ml bottle with her and when I was going through her things I found an un-opened 500ml bottle at home on top of a wardrobe.
I went to see the G.p. to question why no alarm bells went off and why in God's name was he supplying her with so much morphine - again, knowing full well she was addicted to it and also drinking alcohol.
His reply was that she was a "very persuasive woman" I feel that this was reckless and a complete abandonment of care on his part.
I am left with our son who has since just turned 8 and I am also without my wife.
My wife was the main breadwinner in our house - I gave up my job and did part time work and took on a house/husband role in order to support my wife in her career.
Could you please advise me as to whether you think I could make a case against the doctor considering this please.
Thank you for your time.
Kind regards.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Hello James my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you would like to know about this today please?

Have you had a second opinion to see if the GP was negligent?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not had a second opinion no, who would I contact in order to get a second opinion? Another G.P?
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Ok - I would get a second opinion from a medical expert. You should go to a Solicitor who can instruct this.

In short unless the second opinion says they were negligent then you do not have a claim.

To be clear, is this medical expert says the GP did nothing wrong - there is no claim

If the medical expert says the GP did something wrong then you do have a claim.

You may need to pay for the report which may be around £500.

But a Solicitor can help getting a medical expert instructed.

Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience