75100385

This morning at 10:00am I received a knock on my door

This morning at 10:00am I received a knock on my door whereupon I was bombarded with accusations by my roommate and her boyfriend of stealing a whisk (which I bought) after defending myself they made a series of accusations and personal insults and told me to get out. Under duress, and a desire to no longer live with them, I signed a statement that I would leave today, return my key and in return would no longer pay rent. At this time I already paid rent up through July 14th but am unable to live in my flat. My things are gone and so is my key.
I want to know what steps I should take in order to receive my deposit back? Should I notify the agent of the altercation and the agreement? I last emailed the agent 5 days a ago, expressing my desire to leave the flat and asking if it would be possible for me to sublet my room until the end of my contact. At that point he told me I could move as long as rent was received and furthermore stated that he was not involved in our arrangements as joint tenants. After which he forwarded my emails to my roommate without permission. Therefore should I involve him? What steps can I take to vacate the flat, not pay rent (as I can't live there under such inhospitable circumstances) and still get my deposit back? Help!,
Lauren
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I don't have record of ever signing the contract, but I have been paying rent and paid my deposit.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you Lauren

Who did you pay your deposit to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex here's the DPS letter.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to make absolutely sure that I follow the right steps, I need to explain the situation to the agent for the property via email and post and if no action is taken within 14 days than I can file a claim and so forth with the proceeding steps?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Correct. Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the notification to the agent and in indicating my losses how can I guarantee that he does not hold me liable for rent? My roommate agreed that I would no longer pay rent if I left today and she would take over the rent for both rooms but I don't trust her. How do I protect myself?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Then if he does you can seek reimbursement from your room mate.

They made you sign something, so you can't be liable.

Does that clairfy? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you Alex!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex