F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

An ONLINE SCAM Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any

Customer Question

An ONLINE SCAM
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: An ex South African policeman tried to scam me using his police ID, HMRC forms, World, Bank etc in order to try elicit money from me. What can I do ?
Assistant: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been the potential victim of an on -line scam. What can I do to bring the perpertrator to task ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have all the e-mails which I can forwad on to you for verification
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. I could use a little more information.

How did you become involved with this person? Can you be more explicit about the nature of the scam, please.

How do you know he actually is a former South African law enforcement officer?

Did you ever meet him in person, or was all of your contact with him via electronic means of one kind or another?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, in response to your queries.
My father formed a relationship with his mother in S.A. He got my e-mail address from my father.This scam was perpetrated prior to me meeting him in S.A. All the e-mails including his police ID was sent to me via e-mail to re-inforce his scam.The scam was essentially one that was designed to exctract money from me.Essentially, what he proposed was for me to give approximately £2-2.5000 to enable him to receive a substantial tax refund from HMRC. He sent HMRC forms filled in with his details, his police ID, WORLD BANK details, a so called Judge Ryan who was dealing with his case.If I forward the e-mails that was sent to me you will have a clear picture of the scam.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** think I'm going to opt out of this question and have it transferred to a UK legal expert.

This is a fraud, but as he is an actual person whom you've met and who has ties to your family, I think a solicitor would be more useful to you than I would be.

I will notify the site to transfer this question to our UK law category. WHen a UK legal professional replies, you'll receive an email from JustAnswer letting you know, so you won't have to sit at the computer to await a response.

Have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has no ties to my family. He is an actual person.Thank you for your help.Regards.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You say that your father formed a relationship with his mother in South Africa. Has your father ever actually met her? Has your father ever paid any money over to her or anyone else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In response to your query. This man's mother moved in with my father in SA. She then travelled back to the UK with my elderly father and took him to UK solicitors to change his will in November, 2014 in her favour. He passed away in February, 2015 in SA. aged 91 years. This scam was perpetrated by mother and son ( the ex-policeman ) who tried the scam me while my father was still alive. I tried to warn my father of this scam, but he would not listen and we ended up having a major row in SA. That was the last I saw of my father.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I travelled to SA to bury my father I found out that all his bank accounts had been cleared out. There was no money to pay for his funeral.
When I questioned this woman she said there was no money, without any further explanation. They the mother and son went on to explain that everything had been left to his mother. Property in SA and the UK. We are now contesting the will.
Proving the scam perptrated by the son will help our case in the UK. The SA police are keen to have this information as well.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

In the UK, you are obviously contesting the will. You have reported the matter to the police in SA.

In the UK all you can do is reported to the Police and Action Fraud.

What else is it that you are actually looking for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking to have this person investigated by both the UK Fraud Action and the SA Fraud Action. Hopefully, with all the e-mails used to perpetrate the scam he will be charged.How do I go about this ?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Once you have passed it to the police and Action Fraud, then it’s out of your control. I can tell you from past experience that Action Fraud are not particularly communicative when it comes to letting people know exactly how far something has gone.

Obviously you go round to your local police station and also report it here:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am pleased to have helped you.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.

FES.