How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70105
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I've been victim of an assault last night in a club, I got

Customer Question

I've been victim of an assault last night in a club, I got minor injuries and police are asking me to drop charges because injuries are minor and the offender is showing remorse and doesn't have any record. I feel it is unfair to let him go with just a warning while I got hit on the face, got bruises, have my clothes ripped off and ruined my night out. Police thinks it is too much if he gets a criminal record for that. Any thoughts please ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

If you are asking whether you can force them to charge then you cannot I'm afraid.

They will take your views into account when deciding what to do but that is only one factor to consider and the others would normally outweigh the views of a complainant.

If the injuries are minor and the defendant is otherwise suitable for a caution or a PND then the views of a complainant would not deter them I'm afraid.

There is no way this is going to lead to a charge on the facts you describe.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he assault me and physically violate me and he can get away with it ?Police asking me if I need a compensation for damages clothes, what I should ask for ?They said they will give him a form of warning. What is that exactly ?What is PDN and what does it mean that the defendant is suitable for caution?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My injuries are likely not to be permanent but there are very visible bruises on my face
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

They will probably give him a caution.

We do not hae prosecution on demand in the UK so it really matters not whether you agree or not.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

In terms of compensation, you can ask for the value of the damaged clothing minus the number of years you have had it. If he challenges it though you could have to produce the receipt or some other proof of purchase like a bank transfer. My own personal view would be that it isn't worth asking for compensation as it will probably be for a demeaning amount.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice