12826847

I've been victim of an assault last night in a club, I got

Customer Question

I've been victim of an assault last night in a club, I got minor injuries and police are asking me to drop charges because injuries are minor and the offender is showing remorse and doesn't have any record. I feel it is unfair to let him go with just a warning while I got hit on the face, got bruises, have my clothes ripped off and ruined my night out. Police thinks it is too much if he gets a criminal record for that. Any thoughts please ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If you are asking whether you can force them to charge then you cannot I'm afraid.

They will take your views into account when deciding what to do but that is only one factor to consider and the others would normally outweigh the views of a complainant.

If the injuries are minor and the defendant is otherwise suitable for a caution or a PND then the views of a complainant would not deter them I'm afraid.

There is no way this is going to lead to a charge on the facts you describe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he assault me and physically violate me and he can get away with it ?Police asking me if I need a compensation for damages clothes, what I should ask for ?They said they will give him a form of warning. What is that exactly ?What is PDN and what does it mean that the defendant is suitable for caution?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My injuries are likely not to be permanent but there are very visible bruises on my face
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They will probably give him a caution.

We do not hae prosecution on demand in the UK so it really matters not whether you agree or not.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In terms of compensation, you can ask for the value of the damaged clothing minus the number of years you have had it. If he challenges it though you could have to produce the receipt or some other proof of purchase like a bank transfer. My own personal view would be that it isn't worth asking for compensation as it will probably be for a demeaning amount.