12826847

I paid services in London, and my goods were completely

I paid for storage services in London, and my goods were completely destroyed by mold and water damage. (a £3900 claim) The maximum payment from the storage company is £300. I would have taken their measly refund, but they have not paid and it's been 2 months of stalling saying they would pay immediately. I have them in writing on several occasions stating they will pay, however I no longer live in London. Do I have any legal options?
Many thanks,
Jennifer
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you still live in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have since moved to Canada
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that is a problem I'm afraid.

I suppose you dont have an address in the UK at all now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can still use the address in the UK, if needed. I still have my bank account there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The storage company does not know I've left the country. (I am on a six month work contract in Canada.)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, that isn't the issue.

You do have a claim clearly. You can always sue at the small claims court.

To do so though you will have to have an address in the UK at which you can receive and have vision of any post. Otherwise the small claims court isn't available to you.

it doesn't have to be the address at which you live as long as you make that clear on the forms but it must be an address where you will see the post.

I don't know whether anybody at that address is able to check your post?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is helpful to know, I can have eyes on any forms that come through. Can I go through small claims court via online communications to get started? Mailing documents internationally can quickly add up costs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my main concern is getting them to pay, and as I understand Small Claims Court (at least in the USA where I am originally from) has no power to force payments. I'd hate to pay more to pursue the claim and still end up with non-payment. Let me know if this is your understanding.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No court can enforce powers by itself. if they don't pay you have to get the subsequent orders like bailiffs or garnishing orders.

Getting the money is generally harder than getting judgment though if a debtor just refuses to pay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is what I thought. It's even harder now that I am not in the same country. Thank you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

All the best.