Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My grand-daughter's homework was unmarked months. She is in

Customer Question

My grand-daughter's homework was unmarked for 5 months. She is in her last year of Junior school. After drawing the head teacher's attention to this, it was subsequently marked. Having read the school's homework policy and marking policy, I am not satisfied that they correspond. Since she was in Year 3 I have suggested that she needed extra help and have asked to have her tested for dyslexia. My requests have been ignored. On February 8th of this year, at parents evening, I was shocked to be informed by her form teacher that she had identified a few problems. She was put on an IEP ( to keep me quiet I think). She was given targets, which I believe have not been monitored by the school. The school was to have supported her twice a week for half an hour on each occasion, but this has not happened. I have written and spoken to the chair of governors, and wonder what you would advise me to do now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting. A long 8 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting. A very long 8 minutes.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Schools can be governed in different ways but I would make a formal complaint to the governing body of the school which will be either the board of governors or local education authority.

Every organisation must have a formal complaints procedure. This will hopefully guarantee both your grand daughter and other children in a similar position better care and treatment.

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I have written to the Headteacher (acting) and to the chair of governors and have spoken to him on the phone. I met with the acting Head some weeks ago and we discussed matters at length. He took on board some of my points of view, but I must admit that I left that meeting thinking that my grand-daughter was to blame for poor standard of work. Since that meeting, other issues have come to light. School reports were issued on Friday and it appears that Keira has made no progress whatsoever this year. In fact her standardised test scores have fallen this year, as they did last year. Another bone of contention that we have is that the school keeps all of the pupil's books for 3 years after the pupils have left. They bring none of their Junior books home. It is the custom and policy of that school to do so. No-one, as yet, has given me an explanation as to what happens to the books after that period of time. Under the FOIA are parents in their rights to demand to see these books, or to have photo copies made? I am seeing another Acting Headteacher tomorrow to discuss matters. If no reasonable explanations are given, I intend to take matters to the Local Authority. I would be grateful for your opinion on these matters. Thank you.

I do not understand the concern regarding the school keeping the Junior books or anything sinister in this. A child can change school and/or require some evidence of achievement.

Michael