12826847

Based in London. My girlfriend and her friend went shopping

Customer Question

Based in London. My girlfriend and her friend went shopping today in oxford street and jokingly mentioned they would shoplift. I was supposed to meet them in the evenig but they had not responded to my calls and my girls phone was off.
Is it possible they actually shoplifted and been arrested?
I am worried because it is out of her character to not respond to me. After the phone was off it switched on but she has not answered since. I am very worried and dont know what to do or think.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is possible. Anything is possible. In fairness, one does not normally jokingly undertake to shoplift.

If she had been arrested she would have been offered a phone call from the station although obviously she may have phoned somebody else.

there are other options for shoplifting like street bail but quite often it does lead to an arrest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not called anyone else and neither has her friend as i hav spent all evening with my gf's friend's bf. My gf and her friend live together and her bf is staying over for a week. They did not come home.
I called the police station and they said they had not registered any names on file YET and that i should come in person to make a missing report.
She is not English she is Romanian and her phone was with her. Was switched off and the switxhed back on yet no answer. Her friend' phone has been off since lastnight simultaneously with gf's. Can i get a verification from police without going in or even if I do m, do I have a right to know if they have been detained?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, they won't tell you anything. She is an adult and they will not disclose information like that to you without her consent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that if i go in to a station and provide them with her details accompanied by the bf, we would not be given any information?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is right for the reasons above.

They will not tell you whether they have somebody under arrest without their consent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i report them as missing and they have been detained, is it not convenient to tell me they have been detained? How do I know if they have been kidnapped or in an accident God forbid, if the police withold information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if they have been detained why has her phone been switched on and not answering? Is this practice common to police?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It may be convenient but they are not allowed to do it.

Phones are quite often switched off in police custody.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not able to take calls at the moment I'm afraid.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I could skype later tonight?