How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question

Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6788
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I we renting a propert years. Have not done much damage,

Customer Question

I we renting a propert for 2 years. Have not done much damage, just usual wear and tear, hang up some pictures on the walls etc. The carpet has some stains on it as well. The landlord has a deposit from us for 2000£ and he now says he wants another 2000£ on top. Because he has to paint all the walls and clean the carpet. I feel that price to too high. And we can pay to steam clean the carpets ourselves and fill the holes in walls.
My question is what are my rights? What can the landlord do if I refuse to pay the 2000£ on top on the deposit?
Can you get a CCJ if you don't pay?
Many thanks
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 11 months ago.

This is a common tactic.

It does not cost £2000.00 to clean a carpet and paint the walls let alone £4000.00 . He ius simply trying to keep all the deposit by frightening you into thinking he can get a further £2000.00 out of you if you press for the return of some of your deposit.

To sue you he will have to justify the amount claimed with receipts.

If the carpet was not new when you moved in he will not be entitled to all the cost of a new carpet. The walls sound like fair wear and tear so you should not be liable for all the walls just repair and touching up of any specific holes.

I would paint it in the same colour it is now and get the carpet cleaned by a specialist carpet cleaner so you can show it was done properly.

If he fails to return any balance of deposit due you can sue him for the balance due back to you.

Best wishes


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions