31090051

How can a UK national, UK domiciled but not resident, spend

Customer Question

How long can a UK national, UK domiciled but not resident, spend in the Isle of Man without acquiring tax residence? (Faiing a Manx lawyer a UK tax lawyer might know)
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If you are visiting the Isle of Man temporarily you will become resident for income tax purposes if you stay for more than 6 months in any one tax year. If you visit and then decide to stay permanently the government will ask you for the date you first arrived and when you decided to stay permanently. If you intend to move there permanently you will be classed as resident from the first day of your arrival. If you live elsewhere and make, or intend to make, regular visits which in total exceed 90 days per tax year you may also be classed as resident there for tax purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your last sentence implies that the maximum period is, in effect, ninety days. I had understood, however that the ninety day period applied only in the case of ninety days per year over a period of four years (perhaps averaged over that period). Is that right? My desire is to go there for about 120 days this tax year as a one-off, perhaps never going there again. Can I do this and be sure of avoiding IoM tax complications?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can. The difference is the words "regular visits". You are making one visit of less than six months.