12826847

My dog was left at the vets cremation, but nearly 3 weeks

My dog was left at the vets for individual cremation, but nearly 3 weeks later no ashes. After several phone calls to the vets and crematorium i was told there was a lack of communication on both sides and he had gone for communal cremation, there no ashes!. We noe have lost him twice. what can I do.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have you been charged extra for the cremation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nearly £150 extra
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vets are refunding me, but i want it investigated to what went wrong
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I see.

Well, you can ask them to investigate. The truth will be that the answer will be there was some form of mistake.

The question is what is their liability. Clearly they should and they are refunding you for the charge.

There is probably no claim for additional compensation. The loss is an emotional one rather than anything that can be compensated by money. The actual money value of the lost ashes will be nothing like the emotional loss.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vets are not taking responsibility nor is the crematorium, I just get conflicting information from both. Is there someone in authority that i can go to?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not really. There is no overall regulator of the two.

The only way to regulate is to sue and since there isn't really a claim beyond the sums paid that is fairly difficult.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but did here that trading standards would take it up and the royal veterinary college. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I cannot imagine trading standards would be interested. It is just not really their remit.

You could report it to the college but again it is not really a professional misconduct issue. It is just a mistake. One can argue a negligent one but that isn't a college issue unless actual harm to an animal is caused.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you