12826847

I have been charged by a police shoplifting (a court hearing

Customer Question

I have been charged by a police for a shoplifting (a court hearing date is set now).
This is particularly important for me not to get a registered conviction as I am a law student. I had no intention to steal anything, however,' I made off without paying' as shop security guys explained. Because of the new court charges I would probably plead guilty anyway to avoid higher court charges along with other court and solicitor's fees.
My question is: is there still a way that the prosecution's allegation could be dealt with outside of court i.e. can prosecution still drop the charges and give me a simple caution if I have changed my mind and pleaded guilty ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There isn't a court charge in the UK anymore.

The only charges are costs.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

However, they can offer you a fixed penalty fine.

And they can give you a caution at the police station.

If they have chosen not to though then there is no way of forcing them. This really should have been sorted out before the charge so that would tend to suggest that it is too late.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You could always get your solicitors to write to them offering a fixed penalty but they may well refuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am applying for a Legal Aid and was told that I am only meeting my solicitor on the day of a hearing. How can I apply for a fixed penalty to a prosecution then?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, it won't happen realistically.

It would have been a decision of the police at the station. In fairness, you would have been offered a solicitor at the police station.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been offered a solicitor, I stated to him that I have had no intention to take anything without paying, and he advised me to plead not guilty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you mean, that if I could afford paying a private solicitor, then he possibly contact the prosecution before the court hearing and negotiate with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer is not clear, sorry
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Best of luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please answer my last two questions?