How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69365
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been charged by a police shoplifting (a court hearing

Customer Question

I have been charged by a police for a shoplifting (a court hearing date is set now).
This is particularly important for me not to get a registered conviction as I am a law student. I had no intention to steal anything, however,' I made off without paying' as shop security guys explained. Because of the new court charges I would probably plead guilty anyway to avoid higher court charges along with other court and solicitor's fees.
My question is: is there still a way that the prosecution's allegation could be dealt with outside of court i.e. can prosecution still drop the charges and give me a simple caution if I have changed my mind and pleaded guilty ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

There isn't a court charge in the UK anymore.

The only charges are costs.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

However, they can offer you a fixed penalty fine.

And they can give you a caution at the police station.

If they have chosen not to though then there is no way of forcing them. This really should have been sorted out before the charge so that would tend to suggest that it is too late.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

You could always get your solicitors to write to them offering a fixed penalty but they may well refuse.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am applying for a Legal Aid and was told that I am only meeting my solicitor on the day of a hearing. How can I apply for a fixed penalty to a prosecution then?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Well, it won't happen realistically.

It would have been a decision of the police at the station. In fairness, you would have been offered a solicitor at the police station.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been offered a solicitor, I stated to him that I have had no intention to take anything without paying, and he advised me to plead not guilty.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you mean, that if I could afford paying a private solicitor, then he possibly contact the prosecution before the court hearing and negotiate with them?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your answer is not clear, sorry
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Best of luck

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could you please answer my last two questions?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice