propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

Right To Rent checks - do I need to see the original

Right To Rent checks - do I need to see the original passport/ID from the tenant and make a copy or can I request a scanned copy to be sent?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

Are you acting in a professional capacity? If not, the scanned copies will suffice.

You could ask for certified copies, that way a professional has had to see the tenant and the passport/ID.

Any further questions or queries?

Happy to help further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I manage some properties for my parents. Can I accept a photo of the passport / scanned copies?

You can. If you are acting outside of a professional context then photocopies/scans are acceptable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you refer to professional context, do you mean a business or agency?

For yor purposes a scanned copy / photo copy is fine.

It is only professionals, lawyer/accountants etc, that has more stringent requirements.