Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a couple of flat's in a house I own, my ex-wife

I have a couple of flat's in a house I own, my ex-wife (divorced 1998) wants to rent one of the flat's. She has a state pension and has been in receipt of Housing Benefit since she retired in 2004.
I am aware she is not considered a relative but could I be in trouble for renting her a flat.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. If the property used to be used as a home for both of you during the relationship (ie. you shared it) then housing benefit cannot fund the rent.

However, if she is paying or liable to pay you rent for a property where you never lived together then you may be able to receive housing benefit to cover her rent however the local authority will have discretion to refuse housing benefit as you used to live together as a family. Furthermore, if you have children who she is still responsible for then you will not be eligible to receive housing benefit to cover her rent.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.