Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have just been made redundant & my partner is in prison;

I have just been made redundant & my partner is in prison; the mortgage is in arrears and I've just had 15 days' notice of their intent to instigate legal action to repossess. I can't sell the house, just can't. What is the situation if someone is in prison?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information to fully assist you:

-How many months arrears and what is the amount of arrears?

-Do you or your partner have savings to clear the arrears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around 10 months = £10775.50 There are no savings and although he has small portfolio/pension pot, we fully expect that to be given to the prosecution
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

If the mortgage is in joint names and your partner was the main contributor towards the mortgage, then the court can use its discretion to suspend the repossession proceedings whilst you make efforts to settle the arrears. If you cannot settle the arrears in a reasonable time then it is unlikely that you will be able to prevent repossession.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.