How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I want to know if I have any case against a Parish COuncil

Customer Question

I want to know if I have any case against a Parish COuncil regarding my fathers burial headstone
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Before my father was buried I obtained a copy of the Cemetery regulations. It did not stated that kerb surrounds were not allowed. Adjacent plots have kerb stones. I paid extra to have him buried out of area so I could have the head and kerb stones. I ordered these at several thousand pounds. The parish council have refused permission to have the erected, stating that they banned kerb stones some 30 years ago and have never updated the regulations - although other things in there have been updated. Im not sure where I stand
Assistant: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I complained to the Parish Council but they wrote saying as the rule to ban headstones had not been overturned it still stood, even though it had not been made public at any time during the past 30 years.. I have lived in the parish for over 25 years and had never heard they were not allowed. They also wrote that as kerbs weren't specifically mentioned - they were obviously not allowed by omission !!
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did they say why they hadn't updated the regulations?


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it was overlooked, although other things have been updated in the regulations since that time
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

OK - what is it you want to achieve yourself?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to put the Kerb stone surround on my fathers grave with the head stone. The Parish Council have refused tp issue a permission notice for it to be erected and now the stone mason doesnt know what to do ..... neither do I !
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Ok. You need to write and make a formal complaint and outline your position.

If they refuse to do anything you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They will consider your complaint and are independent. They can be contacted at:

You can also consider a Judicial Review which is where the High Court examines the decision and sees whether its legal and reasonable.

A court can either agree with the decision or remit it back for further consideration

Details about Judicial Review can be found here:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice