12826847

Speeding fine question I have been issued with a sppedint

Customer Question

Speeding fine question
HI. I have been issued with a sppedint fine froma fixed camera £100 fine at 3 points for 55mph in a 40mph limit. The offence occured at 3.30am. We had just been awakened by my other car being stolen of the driveway . Whilst my wife reported this to the police I set off in other car to try and catch the thieves. I didn't catch up with them (I went the wrong way). Is there any chance of a court taking this into consideration . I am happy to pay the fine, and do a course, but I dont want the points if it can be avoided due to the continual increase in insurance premiums for 5 years
thanks Dave
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Were you speeding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi. yes. I am not contesting the speed- I didn't know if I had 'mitigating circumstances' and it was worth going to court . I dont know if it matters of not but it is a dual carriage way approaching a roundabout . The road is a 60mph road, but goes to 40mph just before the roundabout where the speed camera is located
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

To be honest, I would take the fixed penalty.

A court still has to levy points event if it finds that there was mitigation. All that would happen is that you would end up with 3 points at court and a much higher financial penalty.

There is a defence of necessity to road traffic offences and duress to all offences but this doesn't get over it. It is a very difficult defence to run at the best of times. Come what may, your account explains why you did what you did but it would just plain be wrong to say that there weren't other options which is what necessity requires.

I'm very sorry but that is a reality I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
thank you , that is very clear even if its not what I wanted to hear
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

no problem.

All the best.