F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

A Victorian Vicar left s diaries to our parish church in

A Victorian Vicar left his diaries to our parish church in 1904 when he moved on.
He died in 1940
We (a registered charity that publishes and raises church funds in other ways) now want to publish a transcription of those diaries.
Is copyright involved? If so whose permission do we seek/acknowledge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

In the United Kingdom, copyright endures70 years beyond the death of the author. Hence, if he died in 1940, these diaries were out of copyright in 2010. If they were left of the church belonged to the church, you are now free to do with them as you wish and publish them.

There is no legal requirement but out of courtesy, you might want to tell the family (if you know who they are) of what your intention is but you are doing it out of courtesy not because of any statutory duty.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wires have been crossed somewhere.I've got the answer to some other person's question!Mine is about copyright.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Hello, If you read the above post, the answer is about copyright. It’s the answer to your question.

The incorrect answer was removed.

If you cannot see the correct answer, here it is again

Best wishes.

FES