How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 280
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I own a property in UK and i have approx £150,000 in

Resolved Question:

Hi there,I own a property in UK and i have approx £150,000 in positive equity.The house still have £200,000 mortgage against it to pay and is in both mine and my wife's names.I have just received notice that i owe the HMRC £30,000 in tax.Is there any way i can move my assets into my wife's name and declare myself bankrupt?I am even prepared to move abroad to escape the debt. Is there anything i can do?thanksMS
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.


In short, if you did as suggested {transfer property to wife and declare bankruptcy} HMRC or any other creditor can apply to court to get the transfer rendered void.

Hope this clarifies the position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,any suggestions how we could get around this issue?What about if i moved to USA, can HRMC still track me down out there or sell the debt to a company in USA?thanks
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but it would be unprofessional to advise how to avoid paying tax due to HMRC. If you have £150k equity can you not release any to pay the £30k tax?

Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

It could be possible for the debt to follow you if you move abroad. A debt collection agency could be instructed, a tracing agent may discover your visa application. You can be pursued abroad for any debts. HMRC can get court orders to raid any UK account or get a charge on any property in the UK.

Also consider You may have to disclose your financial position and tax papers to establish your financial status to get a visa, any non disclosure of the tax debt is fraudulent. If it is discovered you will run the risk of having your visa revoked.

A tax debt will not be covered by limitation unlike a contractual debt.

Do you have any questions or queries? will help you further if I can.

Can I please ask you to accept /positive rate. Thanks.

propertylawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you