12826847

I have been working as a team leader in a machining factory

Customer Question

I have been working as a team leader in a machining factory which has been paying an extra £0.50 p/hr. The role requires me to do my previous job with extra responsibility to lead and supervise a large group of machinists. Following a poor appraisal and the stress involved in the job I asked if I could step down from the role and resume my previous role. The Line manager said this would be fine. However when it came to put it In writing I was told that I would have to resign my job and reapply for a different role. They said there would be no way I would get the same money as I was previously as that rate doesn't exist anymore. And all they would offer me would be a v. Low paid alternative rate some £10000 per annum less. Which i can't realistically afford. However the rate I was on for the job I would be doing does still exist and a large number of employees still receive it. Is this a legal thing they can do? Or do I have any sort of rights to my previous rate of pay. On a previous occasion the exact same thing happened to a team leader except he was allowed his old rate back.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have I not got a right to drop down to my old pay? Are they allowed to offer me such a low paid alternative