12826847

I am a single mum with 2 kids. Last year I worked from April

Customer Question

I am a single mum with 2 kids. Last year I worked from April till end of September, part time. The company moved so I was without a job. I had a few health problems so I did not go to job centre and was hoping to find another job soon. I found another job in April this year, again part time.
During all this time I was in receipt of Tax Credits and Housing Benefit. I informed the Housing benefit dept when I go the job but did not inform them when I lost it. When I got the new job, for some reason the company's accountants messed up the address when they registered me so the Housing Benefit people stopped my benefit, saying I have moved.
I informed that that I have not moved and send them proof of address etc. They came back saying I need to send them more proof of address and also questions about when I left the job last year, when did I start the new job. I am now worried that I will get into trouble and loose my benefit because I did not inform them when I lost the job and there is a gap of about 6 months. Can you please give me any advice with regards ***** ***** to respond to them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to reiterate, my Housing Benefit has stopped and they say they will not reopen the account until I send them letter from Landlord, Bank statements, Rent statement, p45, and information of when I left the previous job and when did I start the current job.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear you would have been underpaid if you didn't tell them you lost the job?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AlexI am not sure if this is the case with Housing Benefit. I am worried they may argue why I did not inform them and why I did inform the Job Centre.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did not inform the Job Centre
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

but if you lost your job you still would have been entitled to benefit? The same with the job centres?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Or did you start work and not tell them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost my job and di not tell them and nor Job Centre. Can they cause any issues i.e saying I should have signed on at the job centre?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - but if you lost your job, you would have been entitled to benefits?