Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Can I read the will of a late neighbor even though I am not

Can I read the will of a late neighbor even though I am not included as a beneficiary. If so how can I see a copy.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

A Will is a private document and hence can only be seen by those parties interested in it.

However, once Probate has been granted (this is the Court document the Executor(s) need to obtain to deal with an Estate and which is required if the Estate is valued at over £10,000 or includes a property), the Will becomes a public document and a copy can be obtained by the general public, from Leeds District Probate Registry. I set out below a link to their website, if you would like to apply.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

I hope this assists and answers your question. If so,I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find evidence that a Probate has been granted, therefore I cannot progress my enquiry. I seen to have wasted my time!