Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am building a driveway in front of my house. I have

Hi I am building a driveway in front of my house. I have checked online on the planning portal and have been advised that this is fine i don't planning permission. I have now been contacted by the local council who are saying I do need planning permission as hte house is on a classified rd.
Please advise
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

You do not normally need to make a planning application to form a new access, or to improve an existing access, unless the access would be onto a classified road (an A, B or C class road). The Development Control section of your Council should be able to advise you/confirm to whether the road is classified.

If it is a classified road, then I'm afraid a formal planning application will need to be made.

I hope this assists and confirms the legal position.

Please let me know if you require any clarification.

Kind Regards

Al