F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.

Is there anything legal my family can do to stop the

Is there anything legal my family can do to stop the constant harassment by a ex partner of my nephew it is causing family distress so much so they are having to move house . The bullying is made by email text letter and Facebook .
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

How many emails texts and letters over how long?

Has it been reported to police?

What is the nature of the contents?

Does anyone reply to them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been going on since December when they split up I would say about 2 or300 in total
This hasn't no but the police had to be called when she turned up at the house shouting on evening . The police where called when she hit him when they lived together last year .
The content is very varied but mostly abusing him and my family calling names Saying how useless they are one even said that his daughter was dead . They have been answered in most cases but only by pointing out facts and asking her to stop and even telling her that my nephew will be happy to speak to any authority about his daughter but that's another issue as well the latest is a Facebook post and I quote you can pay to go to sonisphere and to go to your brothers uni and get f**ked but you can't pay any money for your own daughter
Your family are ridiculous how is that ok behaviour and they let you do it they encourage you to just up and leave and not help there is clearly a reason they have cock in their name . unquote .
He has paid money to her and has tried to get her to go to the social services over the child but she won't .
This is a mild post I haven't got them all with me at the moment as my nephew doesn't live here but I can get them .

Whoever is being harassed needs to raise the issue with the police by going their along with the evidence and asking for the ex partner to be given a warning under the Protection from Harassment Act. Even if the ex is making legitimate claims, the volume of these amounts to nothing less than harassment.

I also suggest that any replies are taken to the police and that further replies cease immediately.

If no one wanted to involve the police, it’s possible to make an application to court for a civil injunction for this harassment to cease-and-desist and if then, having got the injunction, it carried on, he would be faced with being arrested and charged for breach of the injunction which is a criminal offence and would lead to a jail term. The threat of the court application and legal costs may do the trick without the need for going to court.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help we know what to do now I will now rate this