F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My sister in law was divorced in approx 1963 her husband

my sister in law was divorced in approx 1963 her husband left her the house and she has lived their ever since we are trying to trace the deeds but with no success, what action can we take to get the house registered in her name as the property has never been registered with the land registry
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: My wife and I have power of attorney as my sister has early stage dementia and we are trying to ger her affairs in order The property is in east london is a terraced building
Assistant: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

The situation is not unusual and the government have put together these guidelines for exactly the circumstances.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/first-registration-of-title-where-deeds-have-been-lost-or-destroyed

and I can do no better than send you the link which explains the process in detail.

Unless you have experience of registering property, it’s probably a job better entrusted to a solicitor because the Land Registry have unnatural and inherent distrust of people trying to register property themselves.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.

FES.