Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can you tell me the average cost of getting a divorce in

Can you tell me the average cost of getting a divorce in England. I am enquiring on behalf of my daughter, 49, who has a child, girl, 13, and whose husband is verbally abusive. He has left but returned, as my daughter did not want her daughter to be without a father. He says if he leaves he will never see his daughter again and will not contribute any money to my daughter for her. He has no permanent employment and gives her approx. £200 when he can. About every 3 months.
Any advice gratefully received.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. The usual rates for an uncontested divorce application vary between £1000-2000. The court fee itself is £550, but she can apply for a fee exemption if her income is low and she has no capital.

Furthermore, if she is on a low income, has capital of less than £8000 and has evidence of domestic abuse (which will include verbal abuse) - such evidence can be police cautions, GP letter or a conviction, then she will be entitled to legal aid to pursue the divorce.

The above estimated costs do not include any costs in relation to children or financial issues arising out of the divorce.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.