12826847

Our company booked two course with a H&S Company end of 2014

Customer Question

Our company booked two course with a H&S Company end of 2014 to take place in early 2015 our operatives could not attend due to my mothers sudden and critical illness. We are a small family concern so this would have an impact on us.
They required me to pay in full for non attendance as they say their terms and conditions are 14 days and would not accept our reason.
I sent them a email on the 18th of June 2015 again explaining the reasons and asked them to be understanding and never heard anything back until a letter from credit agency dated 6th of November for the total of £354.00 of which i supplied evidence of my emails and again heard nothing back so presumed all was sorted until a phone call this week saying i now have a debit in the region of £1000 as this was the total of both courses
Can this be allowed due to the lack of communication and time difference
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How much notice did you give them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as i can remember only a couple of days before hand
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if there was pressure on places?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There wasn't or you just don't know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i do not know as that information is not given
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The question here really is how much risk you want to take.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Whichever way you look at this, you are liable. You agreed a place and didn't agree suitable cancellation rights.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

However, to claim the full price from you they would have to show that they suffered loss - in this instance that they could not sell your places to others and there was pressure on places.

If there was pressure on places then that is a double edged sword because they will have held a place for you but you could argue they could have given it to reserves and ask them to prove they have tried.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The reality is that it is quite unlikely they would sue for a sum of this amount anyway.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

But they could and you do need to be aware of the risk

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The other alternative is that you offer them their lost profits in full and final settlement of the claim which would be far less than the sum of the contract.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
their inconsistency of collecting the debit eg on response to my email 8th june until letter dated 6th november from agency and then not hearing anything until Tuesday of this week from same agency with an increase of debit from £354 to £1000 is good practice and acceptable
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is of no issue to liability.